22.10.12

penrose fish & chips

Penrose Fish & Chips is my kind of place. A family-run, old school, hole-in-the-wall fish and chips shop with small booths, a couple of tables and the smell of deep-fry permeating the space. It's not fancy by any means, but they serve some of the best fish and chips in the city. The fish is fresh, hot and crispy. The fries are thick-cut and oh-so tasty. The secret? I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the fact that they fry everything in beef drippings. Yup, beef drippings. And surprisingly, the resulting fish and chips are not greasy at all. 
This is as simple as it gets. Just a perfect portion of haddock and chips and a bowl of tangy coleslaw. And don't expect homemade tartar sauce, they serve the packaged kind, and that's fine by me.

Penrose Fish & Chips
600 Mt. Pleasant Rd.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should push for tartar in a squeeze bottle. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete