5.7.12

strawberry hand pies

The thing about strawberries is that they usually only last a few days in the fridge before turning soft and bruised. After strawberry picking over the weekend, I ate more berries than I could count and froze a bunch for later use. The remaining strawberries were transformed into individual hand pies. I experimented with a couple different shapes just for fun.
I use this trusty dough recipe and for the filling I just sliced up some berries, added in sugar to taste and about 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. The tops were brushed with some egg yolk and sprinkled with sugar before baking at 400 degrees until golden. These pies do bleed while baking since the berries are super juicy and some may even burst open, but I don't mind. I like to serve them warm, served with a scoop of homemade vanilla bean ice cream (I use this recipe).

No comments:

Post a Comment