7.7.11

rhubarb vanilla bean jam

I usually try to limit myself to making only one kind of jam per year (I mean, how much jam can two people really eat in 12 months?). Last year it was blueberry and this year it was rhubarb. To make the jam a bit more aromatic and flavourful, I added a vanilla bean to the mix.
1.5 lbs rhubarb, washed & chopped
1/4 C water 
1.5 lbs sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1 package liquid pectin
1 vanilla bean, split and scraped of seeds

1. Place rhubarb and water into a large pot. Bring to a boil, then add the sugar, vanilla bean pod and seeds, and lemon juice. Boil for about 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft.

2. Add the pectin and continue to boil for 10 minutes. Remove vanilla bean pod.

3. Ladle into sterilized jars*, wipe the rims and screw on lids. Process the jars for 10 minutes in a pot of boiling water. Remove and allow to cool completely before storing in a cool, dark place.

makes enough to fill four 250 ml jars

* I sterilize my mason jars and lids by placing them in a large pot of boiling water for 15-20 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment